Saturday, September 19, 2015

Marathon training week one

My name is Amanda. I am 29 years old. I am about 5 foot 4 and weigh 172 pounds. Why do I tell you this? Because I am ready for a change. Today completes my first week of marathon training with 19 total miles run. Some days were harder than most but I am glad that I am going for this and need to just stick with it. Yesterday was a definite hard day for me. I only ran 3 miles but I hadn’t made the best eating choices the two days before hand and I think that had an impact on my workout as well as the fact that I have only been running on and off for the last few weeks. I realized how much I missed it though when my son and I did the pink dress run 5k, a fundraising run for Broome Oncology patients fighting cancer. I really want to do a marathon. I have been wanting to do it for a long time so I decided that day to make the commitment to myself and start training. I have come up with my own training plan. I am adding on miles every week until I reach my goal and the marathon I have chosen is the Herald of Victory Marathon in Binghamton on May 29 of next year. I have also started doing research on marathon training and proper nutrition for marathon training because I have a serious Achilles heel when it comes to good nutrition. So my family and I have made the jump to about 90% of our meat being local grass/pasture fed meats for good sources of lean protein. We only buy free range eggs. No more buying food from the cafeteria at work (I make poor choices in my rush to get back to my nursing unit). Hydration is also an area I am working on as well as nutrition during my distance runs. So I will be sampling and reviewing products that I try. Another way to keep me motivated is I am planning on joining in on group runs with the local running club and going to start doing group runs. Tomorrow I am also doing another fundraising 5k: the Village to Village 5k that raises money for leaders of villages and supports health care in countries that need it. Expect many more blog posts in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment