Saturday, July 4, 2015

The beginning...

December 22, 2014 I decided that I needed to stop waiting until the weather got nice to start running. Basically it was an excuse to not do it. The weather would eventually improve and I would find other reasons not to do it. Living in upstate New York we have all four seasons. Starting running in December was definitely interesting. At that point I didn't have a treadmill or a gym membership so I was running outside in the snow, sleet, and freezing temperatures. The first two 5k races that I ran happened to be in the midst of polar vortexes and absolutely worth it. I learned I love running even in the depth of winter but you definitely need to do your research and dress appropriately.

Last month I tried something that I have never done before. I ran a 10k trail race at Buttermilk Falls. It was absolutely amazing. It was the farthest distance I have ever run and the most complex terrain I have ever run. Trail running is absolutely something that I am glad I started doing. Currently I am training for a half marathon and have a few more trail runs coming up that I can hardly wait for. I am a slow runner but I don't really mind at all. I don't race to win I race for the camaraderie. Every race I have been in the participants cheer each other on. Its a wonderful display of community spirit and pride in the sport.

This blog will pretty much encompass posts about my training, research on running, my reviews on races I participated in etc. The next race is the Forest Frolic 15k in Virgil hosted by the Finger Lakes Running Club and I am very excited about it. If interested you can find out more about the run here:
http://fingerlakesrunners.org/trail-runs/forest-frolic-trail-runs/

Stay tuned for more posts and Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment